Last Updated on November 11, 2021
Names are adorable when you can relate to them. Some people believe the meaning of a name goes a long way to affect the personality, while others choose names to bring to life the fanciful memories they have had with a character or place.
We get intrigued by mermaid names not just because of how sweet the sound is to the ears; they give us nostalgic connections to the beach and ocean, the serenity, and the fantasy island. Their meanings all suggest that life can be a bed of roses, except, of course, for the bad ones.
With the different tales of mermaids, we know that there are good mermaids that grant wishes and bad ones that cause troubles. You should know mermaid names and what they represent before choosing. This could be tricky though, to make things easier, here is a list of mermaid names you can give to your babies or characters. And a tip in helping create your mermaid names.
Cool Mermaid Names
Male Mermaid Names and their Meanings
- Abijam; father of the sea
- Ervin; friend of the sea
- Cain; clear clean water
- Douglas; dark water
- Merv; the person who loves the sea
- Merlin; by the sea
- Savhiel; an angel of water
- Firth; an arm of the sea
- Delmore; of the sea
- Varun; Lord of the sea
Female Mermaid Names and Meanings
- Alana; cheerful
- Ariel; lion of God
- Kaito; flying over the sea
- Annamarie; drop of the sea
- Moana; deep sea
- Calypso; she who hides
- Avalon; Island of apples
- Anahita; river goddess
- Marcelline; defender of the sea
- Murray; settlement by the sea
How to Create a Good Mermaid Name
Apart from wanting to be associated with a mermaid name you like so much, you might want your mermaid name to stand out and be peculiar to you and your characters alone. Here is a guide to achieving this
- Add the title mermaid to your name: You don’t have to change your name entirely, especially when your name is beautiful and you are popularly known with it. All you need is to simply go by the title “mermaid” alongside your original name. Also, anyone you adore so much can serve as your mermaid. You can change your name to the person’s name in the same format.
- Make a combination of mermaid names: Cultures have their names for rivers and oceans, and this is how mermaid names are gotten. Once you know the meaning of a mermaid name, you can add another name to it. With this, you have created your peculiar mermaid name to fit your desire.
- Decide on your mermaid character: giving your character mermaid names becomes a lot easier when they bear the name of what they represent. You can do this by pointing out the attributes of your mermaids and calling them with it.